Sunday, January 14, 2007

POGS

Yesterday had been a very long day for me. And it's not exactly over just yet, because I'm still wide awake. Just got done emailing. Currently editing songs in/for my iPod, and watching the boob tube at the same time (it's the NFC/AFC Divisional Playoffs : earlier was between the Baltimore Ravens and the Indiana Colts -go,Colts!- and now it's between the Philly Eagles and New Orleans Saints), and typing away to write this blog post.
My day (yesterday) started with 3 voice over recordings in the morning (one at 9:30, another at 10:30, and the last one at 11:30 -- I'm just happy that the studios that I recorded at were all within close proximity from each other), and ended with a co-hosting gig at the Philtrade Center with Gwynnie, for the 2ND Philippine Online Gaming Summit (or POGS), which was from 2 in the afternoon until 9 in the evening. Like I said, looong day.
It wasn't the first time for me to host such an event, but I'm always amused as to how some people who go there, particularly those who join the "CosPlay" (costume play), really take their hobby(?) very seriously. If you've never been to one of these things before, people who join the "CosPlay" really put time, effort, and money into their costumes -- they come dressed as their favorite character(s) from online games, animes, etc.
And, speaking of which, there was one whom I called "Butt-Floss Man". The pic below shows you why...


Yikes!!!
Well, he didn't win (the CosPlay). But he did manage to get quite the response from the audience and from the guy who was in charge of introducing the participants for the CosPlay.
The auditorium was packed since the morning. And the place got filled with more and more people as the day went on. I also heard that there were even those who had actually camped out the night before. Talk about really taking things way too seriously. I've never camped out for anything in my life, and I don't exactly know if I could ever do such a thing; and, if I ever did, I wonder what it would be for?
Ironically, I didn't get the chance to play a single online game though -- I never seem to at any of these events anyway, because I'm either too busy, or there are just way too many people playing, or both. Actually, another reason would be because I'm a little embarrassed to play in front of those who are there, due to the fact that, even though I'm a gamer, I'm nowhere near as good as the ones who go to these events and play the online games.
I'd have to say that one of the highlights for POGS would be the live performance from the ska band Jeepney Joyride, who are always very amusing to watch, what with their entertaining antics. Their songs are pretty cool,too. And speaking of cool, the other bands that performed also fall under that category. There was one band (or two) that I wasn't able to catch, since I got to the Philtrade Center at around noon -- but the guest bands for the event also included Hilera (who are always electrifying to watch and one of my favorites, they have a superb self-titled debut album), Narda (whose sound kind of remind me of Joan Jett And The Blackhearts and Yeah Yeah Yeahs) and Neotaku (an anime-inspired band that performed their version of the Super Mario Bros video game theme among other things -- I wish that they'd sung more of the other Japanese/anime tunes that I'm familiar with though).
'Nuff said.

2 comments:

aileen said...

*gulp* what was THAT?! Did he at least cover his face with a mask or what? hahaha!

Neo said...

That was some scary-ass sh*t! Hehe. I honestly have no idea what online game character that fella came as, and I also forgot (cuz the guy introducing the characters in the CosPlay actually did mention his name), but nobody should ever see what I got to see that day. Hahaha!...and, nope, he didn't wear a mask. Zoiks.